Jun 25: The impact of the COVID-19 is still among us and here in Texas, it's become even crazier. We still ship almost everything within 24 hours, but, carriers are really struggling. The huge backlog of lowest-cost international orders is getting caught up as commercial flights have picked up! But it's still vastly behind schedule.
- UPS (Ground, 3 day, 2 day, Next day): Seeing a lot of impact and missing estimated delivery dates. UPS advises that due to increased order volumes and the impact of COVID-19, it is taking longer than usual for packages traveling through the network. UPS has also suspended service guarantees, so the estimated delivery date is not set in stone and refunds are not provided for missing the ETA.
- Lowest Cost: Also impacted heavily. Standard 3-5 day ETA is seeing around 9% of deliveries taking over a week.
- Expedited (DHL & UPS): Little-to-no issues; DHL typically delivers in 3 days, UPS 5 days. We've reduced DHL pricing to 25% less than cost to encourage use of it if this is a rushed order.
- Lowest Cost: This is a UPS service that uses the national postal carriers for the international leg and local delivery. Normally our hub is Chicago, but we switched to the New York hub a few weeks ago to not overburden the Chicago hub that was overwhelmed and to speed things up! Some counties have still no airlift available meaning there's no air capacity for postal packages, in which case it will travel by sea. We recommend you use DHL (they have their own planes, so are not impacted), if you are in a hurry.
- If your order was placed between Late March - Mid-May: The global logistics network was severely disrupted during this time, as the world shut down, and any available cargo space was dedicated to PPE and other medical supplies. Shipments made using the lowest-cost option during this time were caught in a backlog of over 3 million packages. This backlog is now entirely cleared, and if you do not have your shipment yet, it's definitely on its way. We know this is frustrating, as it is for us. Shipments being made now are generally moving much faster.
COVID-19 is now having a dramatic impact on all of us. First, we hope you and your families are keeping safe and well.
In terms of our own operations, we are a family-run business, we're well, we have ice cream & wine, so everything is continuing normally. We're taking the recommended precautions to ensure our wellbeing, and cleanliness of our working environment. As always, you can trust that any order you place will normally ship within one business day.
The WHO and the CDC have stated there's very little risk of catching COVID-19 by touching cardboard or other shipping materials. Out of an abundance of caution, we've treated our warehouse with an electrostatic spray used for disinfecting and sanitizing surfaces, in addition to our regular cleaning routine.
Like all of us, we continue to monitor the situation and act accordingly. As with many small businesses, this is a challenging time, and we very much appreciate your continued support.
Reach out to us via the support widget on the site if you have any questions or are just hanging around bored and want to say hi! Otherwise stay safe, look after those around you, and enjoy your Tesla, and not needing to visit a gas station during these uncertain times.